News and Events
Call for Nominations Now Open for CADTH Board and Expert Committees
CADTH is seeking 15 new members from across the country for its Board of Directors and expert committees. Visit nominations.cadth.ca for details. The deadline to submit an application is Monday, April 26th, 2021.
CADTH Recommends Gene Therapy for Infants With Rare Genetic Disorder
On March 26th, CADTH issued a recommendation that Canada’s public drug plans (except Quebec) reimburse, with conditions, onasemnogene abeparvovec (Zolgensma) for infants with spinal muscular atrophy. This is the first gene therapy used to treat spinal muscular atrophy — a rare progressive and life-threatening condition that often begins in childhood and is caused by a genetic mutation.
Canada’s First Digital Health Evaluation Network
The new Canadian Network for Digital Health Evaluation (CNDHE) is an initiative to strengthen Canadian capacity to evaluate digital health interventions. Supported with Health Canada funding, the CNDHE is led by the Centre for Digital Health Evaluation at Women’s College Hospital, in collaboration with leading pan-Canadian Health Organizations — CADTH, Canada Health Infoway, and CIHI‒Canadian Institute for Health Information — as well as the Centre for Wise Practices in Indigenous Health. Learn more.
New Condition-Level Review Aims to Close Evidence Gaps in Tuberculosis Care
CADTH published its first condition-level review on tuberculosis (TB) to inform decision-making about the overall management of TB. Evidence related to screening, diagnostics, drug regimens, support programs, and more has been synthesized, appraised, and mapped to 4 broad categories of care on a user-friendly digital platform: tuberculosis.cadth.ca. If you missed our webinar on Canadian and international perspectives on TB, you can watch it on our YouTube channel.
CADTH Lecture Tuesday, April 20th — How to Advance Gender Equity
Despite evidence indicating that greater gender equity is better for health policy-making and patient care, gender inequity remains a problem in Canadian health care. Join Dr. Larissa Shamseer and Dr. Andrea Tricco from Unity Health Toronto on April 20th as they discuss the occurrence and consequences of gender inequity in medicine and academia. Registration is required.
2021 Virtual Conference of the Society of Rural Physicians of Canada
CADTH will have a virtual exhibit booth at the 2021 virtual conference of the Society of Rural Physicians of Canada taking place from April 22nd to April 24th. Join our team as it shares information about a variety of topics of interest to the conference delegates, including CADTH’s work on Tuberculosis, Rural and Remote Health, Primary Care and more.
Want to learn more about our work on COVID-19? Visit our CADTH COVID Evidence Portal.
CADTH Reimbursement Reviews
CADTH recently issued the following reimbursement recommendations:
- nivolumab-ipilimumab (Opdivo in combination with Yervoy) for non‒small cell lung cancer
- von Willebrand Factor [recombinant] (Vonvendi) for von Willebrand disease
- onasemnogene abeparvovec (Zolgensma) for spinal muscular atrophy (pediatrics)
- sacubitril/valsartan (Entresto) for heart failure
- fremanezumab (Ajovy) for migraine.
CADTH Health Technology Reviews
CADTH recently published the following health technology reviews:
- Treatment Sequences of Androgen Receptor Targeted Agents for Patients with Prostate Cancer — Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Interventions to Influence the Use of Antibiotics for Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Infections — Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Onabotulinum Toxin A for Spasticity Associated With Multiple Sclerosis — Summary with Critical Appraisal
- Stellate Ganglion Block for the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, and Anxiety — Summary with Critical Appraisal
- Codeine for Pain Related to Caesarean Section: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness — Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Codeine for Acute Dental Pain and Acute Pain Related to Dental Procedures — Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Point-of-Care Testing of International Normalized Ratios for People on Oral Anticoagulants: A Rapid Qualitative Review — Summary With Critical Appraisal
- Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for the Treatment of Oligometastatic Cancer — Health Technology Review
- Convalescent Plasma Therapy for the Treatment of COVID-19: A Review of Clinical Effectiveness (updated March 8, 2021) — Technology Review
- Casirivimab-Imdevimab for COVID-19: Evidence Review and Appraisal (updated March 25, 2021) — Health Technology Review
- Tocilizumab and Sarilumab: Evidence Review and Appraisal (updated March 25, 2021) — Health Technology Review
- COVID-19 Impact on Intimate Partner Violence and Child Maltreatment (updated March 30, 2021) — Summary of Evidence
- Remote Monitoring Programs for Cardiac Conditions in Canada — Environmental Scan
CADTH Reference Lists
CADTH recently completed the following reference lists:
- Concurrent Treatment for Substance Use Disorder and Trauma-Related Comorbidities: 2021 Update — Reference List
- Psychosocial Primary Care Interventions for the Prevention of Overweight and Obesity in Children — Reference List
- Pharmacological Interventions for Weight Loss in Children With Overweight or Obesity —Reference List
- Community Mask-Wearing for Children and Youth in Schools — Reference List
- Behavioral Interventions for Weight Loss in Children With Overweight or Obesity — Reference List
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Recommendations for Transgender or Non-Binary Individuals — Summary of Abstracts
- Digital pathology technology for histopathological diagnosis — Summary of Abstracts
- Colorectal and Breast Cancer Screening for Survivors of Childhood, Adolescent, or Young Adult Cancers — Summary of Abstracts
- Basal Insulin Formulations for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes — Summary of Abstracts
- Accelerated Resolution Therapy for PTSD, Anxiety Disorders, or Mood Disorders: A 2021 Update — Summary of Abstracts
- Electronic Food Assessments for People with Increased Body Mass Index — Summary of Abstracts
Other CADTH Tools
CADTH recently developed the following tools:
- Hospital News Article: Technologies with high potential to transform health care in 2021
- In Brief: Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for the Treatment of Oligometastatic Cancer: A Clinical Review as Part of a Health Technology Assessment
- Canadian Medical Imaging Inventory (CMII)-related items:
Tell Us What You Think
We love hearing how our products and services are influencing health care policies, clinical practices, and patient outcomes. If you have a success story to share, please get in touch with your CADTH Liaison Officer.
CADTH E-Alerts: Subscribe to receive the latest CADTH news, reports, feedback opportunities, and events.